For most of us, doing the laundry is a time-consuming and boring chore that we pretty much could go without doing. But whether you love it or hate it, it’s unavoidable. While your washing machine will be doing the brunt of the work to clean dirty garments, some articles of clothing will require more of your attention. That’s why we’ve culled some of the best tips to have the perfect laundry each time you run a cycle.
1. Select the right water temperature. Cold water works best for delicate fabrics, items that might shrink, or sensitive dark colours. Use hot water for bedding, towels, and heavily soiled items.
2. Always use a laundry detergent. Laundry detergent will lift dirt away from your clothes and will leave them smelling clean and fresh. It can also fight against stains, soiled odours and fading.
3. Don’t overload the machine. You might have a huge family to wash for, but you should always use a washer that is roughly between one-quarter and one-third full when full capacity is not necessary. This will help prevent both unnecessary wears on your clothing and damage to your machine.
4. Use enough water for each load of laundry. Washing clothes is an activity that uses lots of water. Make sure that you are using enough water for the articles being washed.
5. Wash whites and light colors separately from dark colors; this will help ensure that your dark clothes will not turn dingy or gray
6. Make sure to check the tags of your garments for special washing instructions; they may require different washing temperatures or need to be washed by hand rather than in machines
7. Take note of how much time it will take your clothing to dry. It might be useful to air-dry some clothes like jeans, but for delicate items like sweaters and items that you want to keep wrinkle-free, dry them on a hanger instead.
8. Remove items from your washer immediately after a cycle is complete; leaving wet clothing in a washer for a long time will encourage mildew and mold growth
There’s nothing worse than taking out your laundry to dry only to find out your favourite jumper has been absolutely ruined. With these handy tips, you’ll have the perfect laundry every time you run a cycle!