Making your own eco friendly washing powder will save you a tonne of money and better yet, you’ll know exactly what is in it, which means no nasties!
This is especially important if you have little ones or sensitive skin.
The basic ingredients are the same for both powder and liquid form. If you prefer to have your laundry liquid ready to go, the following recipe can easily be adapted into a liquid.
Eco-Friendly laundry powder recipe
- 1 box of Lux flakes or 700g of grated soap
- 1 cup bicarbonate of soda
- A couple of drops of your favourite essential oil (lemon or eucalyptus are our favourites!)
Simply put all ingredients into a blender and mix until fine. Store the mixture in a sealed airtight container.
When you’re ready to use, dissolve a teaspoon in ½ cup of boiling water and add to the detergent section of your washing machine.
This is suitable for both top loader and front loaders.
Eco-friendly laundry liquid recipe
To make a laundry liquid, you need all of the above plus:
- A large bucket, preferably 25l
- Suitable size storage containers if you don’t want to store in the large bucket
- Put all the ingredients in a large bucket and add a litre of boiling water.
- Blend well and let sit overnight, this mixture should turn very thick.
- The next day add a further 2l of boiling water, blend and sit.
- Repeat this process until the bucket is full.
- You can then divide this mixture between smaller buckets or suitable containers and use a tablespoon of this mixture per wash.
Again this is suitable for both top loaders and front loaders.
You can experiment with different essential oils every time you make a new batch to find your favourite smell.
And there we have it; a simple, cost effective, eco friendly solution to make your own eco friendly washing detergent!